PlayStation®Vita Launches & v1.61 Firmware Release
Gamers that pick up their PlayStation®Vitas today will get an immediate one up from previous released devices. This new release is ready to integrate the firmware v1.61 update which includes some slight but necessary upgrades to fully maximize it’s capabilities.
The newest firmware 1.61 update includes (via PlayStation®’s Official Blog):
- A new application, (Maps), has been added to the home screen.
- In addition to photos, you can now take videos using the Photo application.
- You can now publish stories about the products that you rate in PlayStation Store to Facebook.
- In near, players’ information is now displayed on the Discoveries screen. On this screen, a list of the online IDs of up to 100 players that you have encountered, and the number of times that you encountered each player, are displayed. Tap an online ID to display that player’s profile screen.
- The Mac OS version of Content Manager Assistant for PlayStation has been released. The Windows version has also been updated.
There are a few ways to update the firmware on your PS Vita:
- Select “System Update” under the “Settings” menu and download the firmware directly to your PS Vita over Wi-Fi.
- Connect your PS Vita to a PS3 or a PC/Mac and update via Content Manager
It is not completely clear whether users with v1.60 will actually need this